Friday, July 15, 2011

HP-Ramblings

       It seems as if opinions on the Harry Potter series are very polarizing and it makes complete sense; the opposing side is reasonably annoyed by the overwhelming hype brought upon by the innumerable HP fanbase. But it's definitely no fair reason to express contempt over a series; just ignore it and move on. I'd say that I'm an above-average fan (though my ass should be in plush, AMC theater seat right about now) and I take mild offense that these people are so adverse to a franchise because of its popularity. Harry Potter was a large chunk of my childhood, and is still relevant to this day (it's pretty amazing how a series can purposely mature along with its fans, and yet retain a sound consistency), and I don't feel too appreciative of these narrow-minded assholes blindly ridiculing this series that I grew up on. Simply put, if you haven't read the books or at least watched the movies, don't say a god damn thing until you have, and unless you go in with the brain of a contrarian, I'm sure you'd change your mind.

If Dr. Evil ever managed to get a hug from Scott

Post-Potter thoughts:

       Finally watched the film earlier today, and left expectedly satisfied. Save for the fact that I was semi-hoping to get one of those special HP-shaped 3D glasses, but as it turns out, they were only available through a contest. Anyway, as with the rest of the film series, Deathly Hallows Part 2 did the book justice and it also did my Rotten Tomatoes prediction justice as well! But again, like with the rest of the film series, the movie wasn't entirely faithful to the source material (not that it is expected too, though). Especially with the last duel and whatnot, where the reaction to Voldemort's death is in stark contrast to the reaction in the novel. Also, it seemed to me that the movie was fickle with the entire Ron-Harry dynamic, such as when Harry leaves for the forest to "die" and Ron barely acknowledges him with but an unreadable stare. Lastly, the aged characters in the epilogue were hardly convincing. I was expecting a The Reader-esque transformation (in which Voldemort played a main role), not mature sartorial changes and a couple of subtly-added forehead wrinkles. I mean, Ginny looked like she got hold of a an old, ill-fitting wig and decided to play house. But all minor criticisms aside, the positives greatly overwhelm the negatives, and this proved to be a more-than-worthy finale. 

Flawless much?

       Call me a reminiscent, sentimental cornball, but it's been 12 whole years since I first cracked open The Sorcerer's Stone in Mrs. McKinley's class and from then on, I've been waiting for the next book/film to come out, as if it were to be forever commonplace. Now, that period of my life is over, and the feeling is somewhat comparable to watching Phil Jackson retire and bring an end to the 11-year (give or take) Laker dynasty. A film that I watched a mere 7 hours ago will now only invoke feelings of nostalgia, rather than anticipation, and I find that nothing short of intriguing.

 A bit off with the numbers, but hit the nail on the head with the consensus statement :)

No comments: