Sunday, November 6, 2011

Playlist #22 (Part 1)

Downloaded a shitload of albums and went on a serious music binge today. Here a couple of my favorites so far and a couple of tracks I forgot to put on the last playlist. I have a few more albums to listen to, so that's for tomorrow. 

1. King's Lead Hat by Brian Eno
2. The Noise Made By People (Entire album) by Broadcast (An eclectic mix of the most soothing aspects of electronic music and 60's rock. Very dreamy and also psychedelic, definitely music for the rain and/or weed. Already one of my favorite bands and very unfortunate to hear that the lead singer died earlier this year.)
3. Pushing Buttons (Entire album) by Broadcast
4. Man Is Not A Bird by Broadcast
5. Winter Now by Broadcast
6. Coming Down by The United States of America (An obscure psychedelic band from the 60's with a female lead singer. They only released one, self-titled album in '68 and it's pretty great.)
7. The American Metaphysical Circus by The United States of America
8. Policy of Truth by Depeche Mode (I'm usually not that big on anything with synth, but I usually make some exceptions.)
9. Engine by Neutral Milk Hotel
10. N.I.T.A. by Young Marble Giants [Another band with a female singer and only one album under their belt. Post-punk, but very minimal; guitar, bass, soft drum machine, keyboard (usually not all together either). So stripped down but potent and pleasant; like a simpler, steadier The Wake.]
11. Wurlitzer Jukebox by Young Marble Giants
12. Salad Days by Young Marble Giants
13. Wear You Out by TV on the Radio [Haven't heard their debut album (their first official release, actually) before. Always a treat. This track in particular is great; I love when songs become more layered as the song progresses, which works best when the song's relatively long like this one is.]
14. Staring At The Sun by TV on the Radio
15. Leave Me Be by the Zombies [I always loved the Zombies sample in "About Her" and the only other song I have by them, like everyone else, is "Time of the Season". Saw this on Aziz Ansari's celebrity iTunes playlist (He also had "Disorder" and "Rainy Dayz", on there! Two of my all-time favorites in addition to "About Her".) and I already love it. Proceeded to download their first two albums, which I'll listen to tomorrow.]
16. Iz Us by Aphex Twin [I remember seeing the "Come To Daddy" video on MTV (Not the first nor last to make this joke/statement of truth, but yeah, they actually played music at one point.) way back when as a kid and being creeped the fuck out. Then I remember hearing "Avril 14th" a year ago and being surprised by the contrast. This dude works on such a wide spectrum, it's amazing.]
17. Alberto Balsalm by Aphex Twin
18. Nevertheless by The Brian Jonestown Massacre [This and the Boardwalk Empire opening credits song are the only songs I've heard by them. I like what I hear though, and I also like their name (Brian Jones + Jonestown Massacre), so I'm gonna go ahead and check out their best-of compilation (their vast discography intimidates me and my hard drive).
19. Things You Can Do by Deltron 3030 (I've probably played a Del song, at least once, every single week of my life since junior high. Deltron 3030 is one of my favorite albums of all time too.)
20. Some Kind of Wonderful by Reflection Eternal (Talib Kweli & Hi-Tek) (Initially overlooked Train of Thought, but I gave it another listen the other day. God damn, Kweli is amazing; always on point whether it's with Black Star, Madlib, or solo. I remember buying Quality back in '02 and thinking "Guerilla Monsoon Rap" was just one of the dopest songs ever.)
21. Name of the Game by Reflection Eternal
22. Good Mourning by Reflection Eternal
23. Lullaby by The Cure
24. Blame It On The Sun by Stevie Wonder
25. Shout by Tears for Fears
26. Rainy Dayz by Raekwon Ft. Ghostface Killah (A consistent favorite of mine for a good 7 years, especially during this time of year. Damn, what a terrible sentence. Anyway, best RZA beat ever.)
27. Rekonstruction by DJ Spooky Ft. Pharoahe Monch [Felt like listening to some Pharoahe after mentioning "Guerilla Monsoon Rap". This song oddly reminds me of the courthouse in Rancho because I had it on repeat the last time I was there (dropping something off...).]

No comments: