Sunday, December 25, 2011

Playlist #29: Christmas Edition

Actually, not a single holiday-related song on my list, forgive me for my lack of festivity. Well, today is Christmas, which signifies the birth of Isaac Newton, Humphrey Bogart, and Anwar Sadat, the ambiguous birth of supposed deity Jesus Christ, and the start of the 2011-2012 NBA season. So, Merry Christmas, Jews! Happy Hanukkah, Christians! Happy Kwanzaa Eve, white people! All jokes aside, hope you're enjoying whatever it is you celebrate. Happy Holidays.



1. Hiding Tonight by Alex Turner (Solo work of the Arctic Monkeys lead singer. He scored most of Submarine, resulting in a 6 song soundtrack for the film. Much more mellow as opposed to the garage rock-sound of the Monkeys; minimal, indie acoustic rainy day music sans the bleakness.)
2. Stuck on the Puzzle by Alex Turner
3. Glass in the Park by Alex Turner
4. Piledriver Waltz by Alex Turner
5. City Girl by Kevin Shields [Heard this in Lost in Translation, which My Bloody Valentine frontman, Kevin Shields, contributed a few songs to, this being one. I've been meaning to watch it for a while now and damn, what an awesome movie. So well-balanced, visually appealing (love mellow flicks set in metropolitan settings), and Coppola captures this sort of non-literal solitude among other relatable elements just so damn well; also, very interesting dynamic between Murray and Johansson's characters, who by the way, were amazing. Talent runs like a motherfucker in the Coppola family, I swear.]
6. Just Like Honey by The Jesus and Mary Chain
7. April Skies by The Jesus and Mary Chain
8. Almost Gold by The Jesus and Mary Chain
9. Cracking Up by The Jesus and Mary Chain
10. He War by Cat Power [Before Jenny Lee Lindberg, Cat Power has been my musician crush (and still is). I tweeted a joke regarding her the other day (Fun fact: @CatPower, Matt Lauer, and Jack Bauer are all siblings.) and subsequently got followed by her! Fucking made my day and pretty awesome considering that I've had What Would the Community Think? (favorite record of hers) on repeat this week.]
11. Nude as the News by Cat Power (Old school Cat Power. Intriguing how this tomboyish-yet-cute, Ellen Page-like indie chick transitioned into a Maxim top 20, Chanel model, still putting out great music. Having a cigarette with Chan Marshall is on my bucket list.)
12. Speak For Me by Cat Power
13. A Means to an End by Joy Division (Easily my favorite track off of Closer.)
14. Abducted by Cults
15. Oh My God by Cults
16. Never Saw the Point by Cults
17. Rave On by Cults

No comments: