Saturday, September 4, 2010

Imposing the Positive!

A couple months ago, I came across rapper Lil' B AKA Based God on the NT forums. You may recognize him from The Pack, and in a nutshell, he's just...different. He refers to himself as "black Ken", "a princess" and he has songs called: "I'm God", "Look Like Jesus"(no, he doesn't look like Jesus), "I'm Paris Hilton", and "I Want Your Bitch." A mixture of Gucci Mane(whom he very much resembles), Andy Dick, Reh Dogg, and Imogen Heap, his weird, stream-of-consciousness style is pretty hilarious to say the least. Not that I'm a big fan and genuinely enjoy his work, but I will acknowledge that it really does carry artistic merit despite what people say. Most rappers will try to make sure their material adheres to a certain audience. But this guy does whatever the fuck he wants and delivers whatever the hell comes to his head. Through the premise of conceit, he is uninhibited in fully exercising his creative control to put out some really strange, but original shit. I mean, this whole Based movement is pretty much a new (sub-)genre, avant-garde in a way. But those who think that this whole Based God identity is merely a spoof have it all wrong, it's a little more than that. Thank you Based God. I praise you in all your glory.

"Fuck a bitch, in her face, like a boss, like her dad, like I'm rad, like I'm Brad, like I'm Chad"

I forgot to mention, he has a motivational book out...

No comments: